Kingspan septic tank not working

Did you take cap out of circuit for test 2 ?? Remove one leg moving display is cap charging.

Which is irrelevant as the other winding appears to be O/C !!

Sponsored Links
Did you take cap out of circuit for test 2 ?? Remove one leg moving display is cap charging.

As you have already Hot wired it You had probably realised this already.
Rcd is tripping due to fault to earth on winding. A 500v insulation tester would show this.

I then decided to test the caps resistance via the meter and on each received a '1' value. Does this indicate that the caps have blown?

No, that is correct for a capacitor.

Regarding the capacitor value I would expect the difference between 2 uF and 3 uF to not matter in most cases.

Hi Terry, yes there was no cap present when I was testing the motor. Shall I include it in the tests? Thanks, Steve.

Sponsored Links
Is there an earth thest that I can carry out from the house with the motor pulled from the unit or would I need to reinstate the motor first?

Time for a new motor or to get it rewound (depends on cost of new motor)

Is there an earth thest that I can carry out from the house with the motor pulled from the unit or would I need to reinstate the motor first?

Yeah, I think I've succumb to that. Just annoying that it only lasted for just over 12m.

I cant afford to replace right away am I likely to cause any damage without the discs turning?

Thanks all.

Just annoying that it only lasted for just over 12m.

I cant afford to replace right away am I likely to cause any damage without the discs turning?

Thanks all.

Cant remember what I've said previously, but I'd expect a motor to last a lot longer than 12 months, they're not under a vast amount of stress. If you can find someone to rewind it, I'd ask why they think it's failed in the first place, and definitely look for someone prepared to offer a decent guaranteed on the new motor!

You wont cause any physical damage to the unit without the motor turning, but if you cant find a way to rotate the discs to even up the weight before switching on the new motor, it'll take a lot of the load out the initial start up. Biggest concern otherwise would be the quality of the treatment of the effluent, if you're discharging to a ditch or watercourse, and the EA get wind of a poor quality discharge, they wont be happy about it...

Thanks a lot Hugh as always you have been a great help, its booked in to be desludged and I'll get a new motor fitted asap.

Hopefully you wont be hearing from me for a while.

Cheers again all for the assistance :)

Pretty poor if its only lasted 12 months - Any warranty from the supplier?
Is there any kind of thermal fitted? Or a way to tell if water has got in by the pulley side?

If you cant return / rewind perhaps dismantle it and see if there is rust inside..

Yeah, I think I've succumb to that. Just annoying that it only lasted for just over 12m.

Thanks all.

Hi guys, I've got a new motor and cap could some kind soul explain how to wire this as the wire colours differ. The original cap was housed in with the motor but kingspan tell me that it should be within this separate unit...

Many thanks.
Screen Shot 2020-07-31 at 11.44.41.png
image001.png

Thank you and yes thats what I have, here is a photo of how it was originally wired at the motor end with the cap 'incorrectly' installed...

IMG_5130-1.jpg

If you have only 3 core to motor then cap cant be fitted there. Unless you fit 4 cores!!
Is there not room in motor JB ?......Its in series with start winding so why mount it remotely ??

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back