Kitchen air brick

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I am having my kitchen totally replastered and upon removing the old plaster I have found an old cast iron air brick which goes straight outside. From looking at the state of the walls I think there used to be the boiler on the kitchen but is now in another room.

Therefore do I need this airbrick anymore?

It is about 6ft from the floor and I can't see the requirement for it.

I would like to knock it out and replace with a couple of bricks to seal it up as I would have thought to plasterboard and plaster over it would allow moisture from outside to collect on the back of the plasterboard.

Can anyone please give me any advise as I am not sure if this is the right thing to do.

I am also installing a Coker hood and venting this to the outside to help with the cooker smells and condensation from the kitchen.

My house is a terraced 1930s house with a small kitchen.

Thank you for any help you are able to give.

Thanks

Simon

Sponsored Links
Not 100% sure whether an extractor/cooker hood will suffice if there's a gas oven/hob/both in the kitchen.

A neighbour can't get his head round the fact that, now his boiler is no longer in the kitchen, his all gas cooker still needs venting.

Burnerman, are you saying that a gas cooker does not need ventilation, or that a hood will do?

Sponsored Links
No, not a bit of it mate - but this vent has been covered up for ages, it seems.
I've never known any sort of venting test taking place though.....I wonder how many hoods have been installed without any thought to this?
John :)

What size is your kitchen? Length, width, height...... Does it have an opening window and door to outside? :)

Thank you Burnerman, that's very helpful.

The kitchen is only approx 2m wide and 3m long. There is an electric oven with gas hob. The far end wall to the outside is an opening window and a door, thank you Charnwood.

Thanks again for your help chaps :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back