kitchen bonding

J

josey

think i must have ask every possible question about supplementary bonding in the bathroom, so here are a couple for the kitchen.....

i have corrected my original attempt at supplementary bonding it the kitchen, i have cold and hot pipes, taps and sink bonded together, and then connected to the earth terminal in a nearby socket. ( i originally had the bond running back to the cu, now know this was wrong)

q1 when we revamped the kitchen, i run a new ring main for all the kitchen appliances, it is to one of these sockets i have connected my bond, however due to the design of the house, there is a socket in reach of the sink that is on the original ring main, do i need to bond to this socket as well, also the light switch is next to it, does this need connecting in the bonding, or is it just bathrooms where you connect everything together. (it will be virtually impossable to bond to these two now , without channeling walls etc, my misses wont be happy)

q2 do i need to bond to our gas hob and electric fan oven, or does the earth in the supply cables to them cover this.

q3 i have taken some resistance readings with my fluke........

sink to socket earth (new ring main) 0 ohms
sink to socket earth, old ring main 5 ohms
sink to light switch(stainless faceplate) 5 ohms

do these readings sound ok, or is this check boll***s,

thanks

Sponsored Links
there seems to be two opinions on this, i don't know which is right, if bonding isn't stricktly required in the kitchen, is what i have done ok to be left or should i rip it all out ?

Leave it and admire your new tiles (and think....there but for the grace of god......and the missus is smiling!!)

Sponsored Links
Leave it, it can only help to have better earth bonding than is required.

josey said:
q3 i have taken some resistance readings with my fluke........

sink to socket earth (new ring main) 0 ohms
sink to socket earth, old ring main 5 ohms
sink to light switch(stainless faceplate) 5 ohms

do these readings sound ok, or is this check boll***s,

thanks

5 ohms is a little high, but as mentioned, this bonding isint required to we can pass over this

no this is very bad

extrapolate from his figures (assuming he is reading the meter correctly) and you see that at least one of his rings is very badly earthed

what can i do to rectify this, is there a better test i can do myself

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back