Kitchen Cabinet Edging.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have to put some 18mm edging on the face edge of a kitchen cabinet/carcass.

This edging isn't self adhesive or iron on. The old edge will remain, so this go on top of the existing.

Does anyone have any ideas how to get this properly stuck on?

Thanks
John

Sponsored Links
Scuff the existing edging with P60 or P80 sandpaper, wipe off with a clean cloth lightly dampened with white spirits (to remove dust - avoid water). Cut the new edge banding to the required length. Coat the edge to be covered with a thin layer of contact glue. Coat the back of the new edging tape with the same glue. Allow the glue to set for about 20 minutes. An old store card or the like is ideal for spreading the glue

Starting from the top and working downwards apply the new edging, slowly. A hard wallpaper seam roller can be used as well.to get rid of air bubbles and get a better bond.

For 0.6 to 1.2mm melamine edgings:

Overhangs can be taken off with the sharpened blade of a block plane run flat on the face of the panel - the cutting edge needs to be angled to make the cutting easier (an alternative is a heavy glass scraper, like the Stanley one). You may need to take the arrisses off using a piece of P120 or finer sandpaper glued onto an offcut of sheet material or even a piece of planed softwood (like a giant emery board that women use on their nails). This is drawn lightly (VERY lightly) across the edge at 45 degrees whilst also moving top to bottom - the stroke needs to be away from you and towards the back of the cabinet

For 2 to 3mm PVC or ABS edging a laminate trimmer or router and appropriate cutter is required

This takes almost as long to write as to do!

Last edited by a moderator:
Brilliant, thank you. Got most of that already ready...I didn't even think about contact glue. Any preferences as to make? Of course I will only need a small amount.
Thanks again.

No real preferences, but personally I'd avoid the water-based stuff and go for a solvent-based one such as EvoStik red

Sponsored Links
No. Dries to a straw colour, however, if it is fairly fresh (i.e. days or weeks old) any excess can be rubbed into little balls and removed using a mk.1 thumb

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back