Ply Edging

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I have just finished building a cabinet around my boiler (which is in the bathroom) that has a 685mm x 1200mm access door. The door panel itself is made from 18mm exterior ply and will eventually have a 4mm mirror attached to the front.

I would like to make a neat finish to the 18mm edges and not just have glossed ply visible. I have looked at the adhesive edging strip and am not convinced.

http://www.replacementkitchendrawers.com/shop/product.php?productid=16740&cat=376&page=5

My other thought was to get a U section aluminium strip with an 18mm base and 10mm sides. Can anyone recommend anything suitable for this job?

Mark

Sponsored Links
if you have a table saw 2x1"planed 2mm strip cut off the edge and glued on

or 6mm glued and nailed on

Most people run into trouble with iron on edging due to that they don’t do the preparation before hand. There is nothing wrong with iron on edging what so ever in this type of application.

1/ Plane smooth all cut edges that you wish to finish do not remove the arris.

2/ Apply a coat of PVA wood glue to the edges and let dry.

3/ Now apply the iron on edging with a hot iron; while the edging is still hot and the glue not set apply presser with a piece of timber off cut.

4/ Trim the excess edging using a sharp Stanley blade

5/ Now you can remove the arris

Iron on edging can take paint with out any trouble so it doesn’t matter if you put brown marks on it, it will cover with paint.

The reason for the PVA wood glue simple it is acting as a primer / sealer thus giving the hot melt glue a much better chance of doing its job.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back