kitchen cabinet lights

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
i am in the process of refurbishing our kitchen an have burried the following wires in the walls for undercabinet lighting.

1x 1mm two core 5m in length to run two lights
1x 1mm two core 2m in length to run one light
1x 1mm two core 2m in length to run one light
1x 1.5mm twin and earth to the light switch.

i would like to know how many transformers i need and how to connect them so all lights are switching similtaniously.

I have heard that different cable runs effect lights if wired in parallel as i would need them to be.

please help

Sponsored Links
it depends on what watt each lamp is as to size of transformer.
To calculate that add up the wattage of all the lamps then get a transformer that is the same or slightly bigger than the total. (But NOT smaller)

Alternatively you could have 2 or more smaller transformers but again the same rule applies for calculating size

you also mention a 1.5 t & e cable to the switch, but what about the supply (1.5 t & e is fine, so long as its fed from the lighting circuit)

all transformer inputs should be wired in paralell,

thanks for the speedy responce.

the bulbs that i am contemplating are 20w

i was intending to use a fused spur from the ring main to power the transformer/s, i could bridge a live from the light switch as the switch is in the same patrice as the existing light, however there are no neuterals availble. would the fused spur option be appropriate do you think

Sponsored Links
you can use a fused spur, but you would also have to use a diiferent patress as you will be supplying the lights from 2 diiferent scouces, ie ring main (via spur) and lights (existing, via lighting circuit)

on the other hand if you did use a spur (so long as it is from a socket and you use 2.5mm twin & earth) you could always use a switched spur and turn the lights on / off from this

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back