Convert light switch into plug socket for plinth lights

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Please help.
I I'm installing plinth lights in kitchen and wish for them to come on when lights are turned on.
I have a double switch at etiher end of kitchen, but do not need 1 of them so wish to turn it into a plug socket ( for plinth LED lights ONLY and will be hiden behide unit). So when the other end is turned on the socket will have power and the plinth lights come on.
When I went to change it over there were 2 red, 2 blue, 2 yellow wires and the earth was attached to the housen itself.
Wired as shown in pic so where do the wires go in a single socket that has 1x L 1x N and 1x Earth?????????? Please help.

Sponsored Links
You can't do what you're asking as there's no neutral present amongst other reasons why it's a bad idea!

Dave you can't do it.

The wires for thw switches will be switched lives from the lighting circuit.

There won't be a neutral and it's not right (even if you got a neutral) to fit a plug socket in to the lighting circuit.

I'd suggest you keep the switch and see if you can design the LED lamps to become part of the existing switch and light circuit.

Have you a link for the LED's that we can see, maybe there's some further details we can help with.

Sponsored Links
The easiest way would be to connect a switched fused spur to your kitchen ring final, fit a 3A fuse, wire to the fittings and using the switch to turn them on and off.
This will require notification under Part P of the building regulations as work will be within a special location (kitchen).
Correct connection of conductors for your ring final, rating of protective device and cable installation conditions will have to be determined also.
It would probably be cheaper to employ the services of an electrician (not your friend though).

You could try to find out the spec of the wallwart provided, and see if Maplin or Farnell or Rapid etc have a suitable supply with a flying lead, as then you'll be able to connect it to the lighting circuit.

2 more things to consider:

1) The neutral is in the ceiling with the lights, so you'll have to get a cable from there to behind the plinth.

2) It will be notifiable.

Have a look inside the other switch if your lucky the spark may have used the switches as the loop in point. The neutrals (if they are there) will in a connector block pushed into the back of the box.

If you find the neutrals, all you have to is disconnect boths sets of strappers (the red, yellow and blues) and then reconnect one of them, with the red as live (from switch) and blue as neutral (from connector block) and the earthwire. Then fit a 2Amp switched socket outlet at the other end.

All in full compliance with regs

If the neutrals are not in the switch you're stuffed unfortunately.

Hi thanks very much for this, had a look and is set up as shown below.
don't quite understand your instructions, think I will get a guy in who knows what there doing, thanks for help.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back