Kitchen cornice

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can anyone give me any tips on cutting kitchen cornice? I tried last night, but due to the curved surfaces both sides I was unable to get it 'dead' in both planes on the mitre block. They looked fine until I tried to meet them up...

Help please...

j

Sponsored Links
is it a hand mitre saw your using if so you find a bit of wood to sit
in the hollow at the back for support
the biggest problem is the top half of the moulding is above the back plate
so you could also make an L shape piece the same size as your moulding
to hold it square in the saw if your doing lots you can also put two small
battons on so the the jig will slip on the end and hold it all firmly together

I take it the cornice is for the top of the wall unit ? if so does it have a flat piece on the bottom so it can be screw into the top of the unit ?

Hi Masona,

Yes, it does, I was trying to get this to sit flat on the mitre saw base and thought I'd succeeded until I tried to match the two pieces together,

j

Sponsored Links
Right, you need a piece of flat wood ( 3/4"ply is better if you can ) then screw the cornice temporary to the plywood to the edge then butt this to the edge of the mitre stand and cut it very slowly with one hand supporting the top of the cornice while cutting.

Also it may be because the unit are not 90 degree

Spot on, just been checking out the talk pages on Screwfix and had a simliar suggestion, I guess I could screw the cornice to the base of a wooden mitre box?

johnegrey said:
I think it was from someone called softinmiddle...?

I think big-all meant his suggestion in this thread.

Just a comment big-all, you break your sentences as if you have pressed the enter key at the end of the text entry box, like you would on a type writer. This makes your posts harder to read, and follow, and it is easy to misunderstand what you are saying.

Meblin

Right, yes, sorry big-all I had read it, thanks. I was a bit thrown as I see you add to the screwfix talk pages,

yes j g some would say i detract from screwfix :rolleyes: :LOL: :LOL:

your probably right melbin i type with one finger have been know to be ambidextrous but my brain cant handle two fingers typing together
now i normaly press the return key when my text gets to the end of the line but this time i have just left it to its own devices which has confused me and probably the computer as well :D :D ;)

See this for a very useful tool.

I don't like the wooden mitre block type, the one I use is similar to the picture
05-01-001.jpg

Sorry big-all I read your post again about 20 times and I think I've just about got it :!: I find very difficult to read it in short sentences but I'm very please on your last post that you have bought a widescreen typewriter :LOL:

the trouble is was i assumed the box infront was the typing area so i would try and make the lines nice and neat and wonderd why they didnt line up

by the time i realised i had done about 1000 posts sortof got into the habit of stopping at the end of the line and starting again :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :D

punctuation next i suppose :rolleyes: ;)

and your saw example is the sort i was referring too :D :D

Jeeze big all
After all the time I have known you on various forums this is the first one I read where you didnt keep pressing the 'enter' key. lmao :LOL:

the trouble is dewy it does look nicer :LOL: :LOL:
but without thinking i hit the return key like my now 90 odd year old olliveti typwriter when i get to the edge of the page ;) ;)

ooohhh and just remember how many time i had to be told about paste and post before i could do it and it is one of the most simple things you can do :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :D :D :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back