Kitchen Cupboard Hinge Screws Coming Loose

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
In my 5 year old kitchen (Benchmarx units) a good few of the hinge screws on the doors are starting to strip their threads in the chipboard cupboard carcasses, esp on the cupboards with the highest usage.

My Step 1 repair has already been lashings of PVA and matchsticks/cocktail sticks jammed into the holes, but some of these are now coming loose again.

So Step 2: I have seen these things called plastic hinge dowels (see pic) that are 8mm dia. From what I have seen online, it seems I can drill out the damaged area and then knock in one of these in with more PVA/epoxy? What I don't know is whether these things are designed for use into chipboard? Will they help?

Hinge Dowels.jpg

Failing that, Step 3 is to use a hinge repair plate which I have also seen online and are sold widely.

Hinge Repair Plate.jpg

Have missed any other cunning ideas?

Cheers

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back