Kitchen Dimmers

Sponsored Links
Kitchen dimmer?
1KW lighting load?
Global warming?
ditch the cooker get a rheostat and cook on that i'd say ;)

Bas

Is this right

A resistive dimmer or passive dimmer , is the ones with the coil in like an "inductive dimmer" , which I thought were for mainly for wire wound trans or "resistive loads".
Is that the one he needs

And a standard dimmer, leading or trailing edge, is the one for " resistive loads" like tungsten lamps
Thanks

Dunno what he needs (apart from to ditch all those ******* downlighters).

A wirewound transformer is not a resistive load - measure the resistance of one sometime, then measure the current it draws.

SMPSUs which are what the "transformers" for ELV lights actually are are not resistive loads either...

I don't know what the manufacturer means by a "resistive or passive dimmer", but either I'm wrong in what I think that type of dimmer is (and I'm going by what the words mean in an electronics context), or they are wrong to say that, as nobody makes that sort of dimmer. If they really have made a product that can only be dimmed by a rheostat then they need a good kicking.

Sponsored Links
A wirewound transformer is not a resistive load
Thats what I meant really, I use inductive dimmers for wire wound, but always understood that inductive dimmers will still be ok to dim "resistive loads " like standard gls lamps, as well.
SMPSUs which are what the "transformers" for ELV lights actually are are not resistive loads either...
The mode ELV ones have a circuit in them though , that somehow makes them appear as a resistive load.
I don't know what the manufacturer means by a "resistive or passive dimmer"
I think, maybe they mean use a dimmer that will "dim a resistive load", rather than use a "resistive dimmer.
The passive bit I dont know

some seem to refer to normal dimmers as resistive dimmers
Like this example from a lighting site

"What Type of Dimmer to use

For normal tungsten Lighting: Use a Resistive Dimmer

For mains voltage halogen lighting: Use a Resistive Dimmer, (but read the Dimmer manufacturer’s instruction leaflet, some manufacturers state that: When using their dimmers with mains voltage halogen lamps, you will need to down rate the maximum wattage capacity of their dimmer by a certain percentage).

For Low voltage lighting with a Leading Edge Electronic Transformer: Use a Leading Edge Resistive Dimmer.

For Low voltage lighting with a Trailing Edge Electronic Transformer: Use a Trailing Edge / Phase Lagging Resistive Dimmer.

For Low Voltage lighting with a Wire Wound Transformer: Use an Inductive Dimmer.

All Dimmers will produce some buzzing noise, either at the dimmer or at the light fitting, this is usual, but should not be audible so as to cause annoyance to someone with a normal quality of hearing.

If the correct dimmer has been installed and you experience a resonating noise from the light fitting, one should first check to ensure that the fitting has been securely mounted to the ceiling or wall and that there are no loose components on the light fitting, such as loose glass shades, as the resonance will cause these to vibrate.

Excessive noise and / or pulsations indicate a non compatible dimmer.
Beware of Dimmers claiming to be suitable for all types of lighting

nobody makes that sort of dimmer.
Is that because a passive dimmer would get hot and be too big like you said in the previous post.

if you dont mind

Electronics wise, what is the difference between an inductive (VA) dimmer and a standard (as you say active) (WATT) dimmer then.

Do you have any links , as this is something I am interested in.
we get this problem daily and is why we only use the mode trans now.
Thanks

if these are 'inexpensive' transformers , it could well be the transformer load that is on the circuit regardless of lamp wattage.....i.e. 12 x 60w = 720w and 8 x 60w = 480w.......therefore the original dimmer was simply overloaded .

Word confusion/poor use of English going on on these descriptions, I think.

They do not mean "resistive (inductive) dimmers" they mean "dimmers designed for resitivive (inductive) loads"

In all cases these dimmers are going to be electronic and achieve the dimming by reducing the percentage of time of each half cycle of the mains power that is switched though to the lamp. There are a number of way of doing this - leading edge and trailing edge are two of them.

http://www.ilight.co.uk/downloads/iLIGHT Binder-HowDimmers.pdf[/url]

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back