Kitchen Dimmers

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

The 2 gang dimmer switch in my kitchen has stopped working .. Taking the switch off the wall I can see the transformers (?) have melted so i'm not suprised the switch has stopped working.

The reason for the question is that I need to understand what type of switch I need to buy to replace the burnt out one - With it being burnt out it was obviously wrongly installed by the people that fitted our kitchen !

One of the switch circuits has 12 x 50w (12V) ceiling lamps and the other has 8 x 50w (12v) ceiling lamps. Each 50w lamp has a transformer in the ceiling for it - the transformed is marked with "Steeple s65td 20 - 60va electronic transformer for LV halogen lights for use with resistive or passive dimmers".

I assume I need a 2gang switch 600W (12 x 50w) but can not find one anywhere on the internet.

The switch needs to be brushed chrome.

Any help will be appreciated

Heeeeeeeeeeeellllllllllpppppppppppp - please !

Sponsored Links
Despite the silly amount of lighting, shurely you don't need a dimmer in a Kitchen?
Well I suppose you will with that much lighting. Seriously though, the only solution is to get a normal switch to replace the dimmers, I don't think that much dimming is wise, or possible too, the dimmers are very likely to melt...
If that is too bright take out half the bulbs. That might help, although it won't seem that much dimmer, due to the logarithmic nature of the human eye.

Thanks Dullspark.

Would reducing the wattage of the bulbs help and still allow me to have a dimmer ?

The kitchen installers put the lights so we've had little choice - They also put the dimmer on .... the lamps are only small diameter (MR16 ?)

Regards

Sponsored Links
Yes, reducing the wattage of the bulbs would certainly help, I would aim for half the wattage, 20watt bulbs or 35watt at least, according to what you said your transformers are rated at this so it should be ok.
Then we can deal with the subject of dimmers.

I'll go and get some 20w bulbs in the morning.

Once I have these what type of dimmer would I need - I assume with one switch needing to take 12 lights 240W (12 x 20w) perhaps 300W+ ?

Regards

Excellent, if you insist on a dimmer, get the most powerful one you can and make sure it is rated to dim transformers.

Varilight probably sell something adequate, be prepared to chop a deeper back box in for it to fit in though.

Thanks everyone.

Just one last question on the dimmer - How do I ensure it is "rated" for transformers ?

Regards

with "Steeple s65td 20 - 60va electronic transformer for LV halogen lights for use with resistive or passive dimmers".
:rolleyes:
They are the dimmers you need, if all the transformers are these
You do not need a special dimmer.

A resistive dimmer is a standard dimmer
You may need a higher loading one, than the lamp total though
If in doubt contact the transformer makers

If you fit 20W lamps all round, then a 2G 250W dimmer will be OK, providing it can handle Tungsten Halogen loads without the need for derating. The dimmer instructions should tell you whether it needs derating for these kinds of loads or not.

They are the dimmers you need, if all the transformers are these
You do not need a special dimmer.

A resistive dimmer is a standard dimmer.
Sure?

I would have though a resistive dimmer was a rheostat, i.e. it carries out dimming by adding resistance into the current path.

i.e. it is a passive device.

Standard dimmers these days are active devices with circuitry which does not introduce a resistance but operate by chopping out part of the waveform, either at the start of each half cycle (leading edge) or at the end (trailing edge).

A rheostat does not save electricity, and one to dim several hundred watts of lighting will be big, and run hot.

Rheostat dimmer:

j8ruler.jpg

:)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back