Kitchen/diner refurb

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys, I'm going to be ripping out my kitchen soon and replacing it with a new one! Exicting stuff! But I am asking for a few ideas. Here are a few photos of the current space:

Somewhere in this space I have to incorporate the new combi boiler (current system boiler is in a bedroom far away from the bathroom and kitchen, no place for a combi). One place I thought to have the boiler was under the stairs (but this depends on front clearance space required, and whether I can vent the flue onto the public pavement on the other side of that wall). I would have the washer here too, but the gas meter is in there, and I dont think washers like being mounted on castors to be wheeled out! Anybody got any ideas for under the stairs?

As you can see at the moment the kitchen is a U shape, with a dining area opposite. I dont like this because there are 3 doors near the dining table, and they all open into the kitchen. Reversing any doors is not possible, so I am looking at a plan like below (which I've kind of set my heart on!):

This plan puts the washer and dryer in cupboards near the back door, and the fridge and freezer in the tower unit in the opposite corner. It also gets rid of the half square metre void in the corner behind the cooker - there is nothing behind it.

I'm not sure whether to build out from under the stairs, and have the door facing the cooker, then fill the gap between the new door and the back door with units. Like this:

Having just drawn that up, I can see just how much space I'd loose from the kitchen, but the space is unused anyway. I hate having doors in corners!

The room is quite dark (north facing) so I want to loose the ridiculous window arrangement. I would loose the 2 brick piers either side of the door and install 2 new windows and a door, all in the one opening (you can see what I mean on the new design above). This would allow bigger windows, but would add about £1000 onto the cost of the job (I'd get someone in to do this work). Not sure its worth it, but I hate the way it looks now! Its a mismatch!

I'm also thinking about having a false ceiling. Current height is 9ft, I could afford to loose a foot of that - this would be just above the back door height. The ceiling would facilitate fitting of LED downlights and hide any extra plumbing required by the boiler location. Current ceiling is laths and plaster, and downlights are just not possible in this!

Any input much appreciated!

Sponsored Links
Suggestion?

It your putting in a false ceiling and then bringing out the cupboard couldn't you put the boiler inside the cupboard and then run the flue in the ceiling void and out the back?

Be careful placing the hob up against a full height unit as you have. Where will the saucepan handles go when cooking! Will have to be over the ring in-front/behind depending on ring you are using. It's a minor niggle but know of people who have not thought of this until after and then regret not picking up on it first.

Why not change the wide drawer unit to a 60cm and add in a 20cm wine rack or depending on space a 40cm cupboard to the right of the hob & cooker? One of those small pull-out wire shelf ones would be handy.

Other than that looks good to me.

Steven

Mark, False ceiling is probably going to happen, but bringing cupboard out like my second diagram probably wont. So instead if the boiler can go in the existing upderstairs cupboard, I could run the flue above the false ceiling as suggested and discharge it onto my land.

Steven, thanks for your input. I might consider having a small space between the hob and tall unit, but my concern is loss of "usable" worktop space - the space between would become dead space. And its rare I use all 4 rings. ;)

Sponsored Links
To me it looks like that table/chairs is just going to be in the way of everything. The room simply isnt large enough to accommodate them.

Your going to be wedged up against it while using the cooker and if someones sitting there its going to completely block access to the cooker and the cupboard beside it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back