Location of stairs landing and kitchen door

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm trying to find out if there is a minimum distance from the bottom of a staircase to the opening for a kitchen door.

Ideally I want to install a right-hand winder staircase in the hall that will wrap around the external corner of the kitchen. The lower section of stairs will be against the same wall as the kitchen door. The door will open into the kitchen.

At present the kitchen door is off to one side and restricts wall space for cupboards. To make better use of wall space within the kitchen its door needs to be relocated nearer to the bottom of the proposed staircase but how close to the stairs can the kitchen door go? See diagram.

Any help will be much appreciated.

Attachments

• Kit-hall-stairs.jpg
    Kit-hall-stairs.jpg
    26.2 KB · Views: 77
Sponsored Links
The 400mm appears to be for situations where a door swings across the landing area. The kitchen door will open the other way so it does not encroach on the landing.

Sponsored Links
In my first house the door out of the kitchen to the ante-space to the bathroom was only about 3" away from the bottom stair.
Like yours it opened away from the stairs so I don't see a problem with moving it along.
Bear in mind I am not a builder/joiner so maybe these days the rules may be different. You could ask your local building officer. Just drop him/her an email with your sketch and explanation of what you want to do.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back