Kitchen Downlights - Suitability and wiring

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I intend to install 8 x 240v downlights in my kitchen ceiling. The downlights are fire rated GU10 240v die cast tilt models with the following spec:- IP20, 90 min fire protection, BS476 Part 20 Part 21 & Part 23, CE approved, Double Insulated with Earth Provision, Acoustic rating Part E - BS EN ISO 140-3: 1995 & BS EN ISO 140-6: 1998.
They are not specified as part Part C compliant - Do they need to be :?:

I propose to wire them in 1.0mm T&E in parallel using the connector block on each light fitting and continuing the earth wire around the circuit using the earth provision on the light fittings providing an earth point should any future lighting not be double insulated, I will work my way back to the cable currently feeding the strip light using a choc block to connect.

It is my intention to get an electrician to sign the work off once completed.

I would be grateful for any advice offered on the above.

Thanks Bernie.

Sponsored Links
You need to sort that arrangement with an electrician before you start the work or else you may struggle getting someone to help you out, just so you know.

Lots of information in your original post.

Blah de blah de BS476 Part 20 Part 21 & Part 23, CE approved, Double Insulated with Earth Provision, Acoustic rating Part E - BS EN ISO 140-3: 1995 & BS EN ISO 140-6: 1998. etc

But you have left out the MOST important piece of info:

What power are each of the torchlights you are planning on fitting. ??
Usually this is specified in watts.

Sponsored Links
Are you sure you will have enough light in all working areas of the kitchen. As has been said many time by people who have seen these in use in kitchens. They are not suitable for lighting a kitchen that is used as a kitchen and not shown of as a fashion statement.

Take the PVC cable into the lamp holder and you stand a good chance of having heat damaged cables. Use a length of high temperature cable between lamp and an ACCESSIBLE junction box where the PVC cables are joined to the heat proof cable to the lamp.

Often these lamps fail by exploding and converting themselves into a small shower of red hot, even molten, glass pellets. Not good in food and not good in the chef's hair either. Scorch marks on worksurfaces are probably acceptable as a price to pay for "fashionable" lighting.

I have just completed a kitchen where the client insisted they wanted downlights (despite my best efforts), to replace the two 60w pendants they had.

I fitted 8x 50w 230v downlights in a kitchen approx 2.5mx4m. So thats 400w instead of 120w (or less than 30w using CFLs), and they say its too dark compared to the old pendants!!

Thats in a kitchen with cream cabinets and wooden butchers block worktop....

Luckily I had persuaded them to have undercabinet lighting in the working areas.

Downlights serve a purpose, but be aware how poor they can be at lighting a room.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back