Kitchen electrics going mental!!

Sponsored Links
I agree. A new consumer unit with fix nothing.

In fact it could make matters worse.

If he is a proper electrician, he should be including a full test of all circuits before changing the board. Then any problems will need to be resolved before making the change.

Remember, the new style of consumer units have RCD protection on all circuits. This makes them much more sensitive to any hidden faults, glitches, etc.

Ive just spoken with another electrician who said it might be a waste of time him coming out if the sockets and plugs have already been looked at because if the readings are within the normal ranges theres not much more they can do. The electrician said to write everything down ready for when he comes on friday and he will get to the bottom of it. Hes going to rewire every plug and socket as well. Im aware that the fuse box isnt the issue here, im only getting it because ive wanted a new one ever since i moved in. Im going to tell him not to bother with the fuse board until a fault is found

Sponsored Links
I thought you were getting an electrician in, sounds like you got a cowboy?!

A CU change is not the solution here, proper investigation is needed.

Get someone else in!

Totally agree :!:

I have noticed though that my lights are now much brighter after being earthed.

Not sure why earthing the lights should be making them brighter, they should not be using the cpc as a current return path in place for the neutral even with a broken neutral at the service intake of a PME instillation!

No it's plastic

Is the plug also a switch mode power supply/transformer type as well; either way, maybe the kitchen sockets earth is a at a lower impedance than the neutral causing the shock you feel to be from line to earth, possibly via capacitive coupling?

Does the radio have a metal earth pin on the plug?

The tingling from the radio is almost certainly leakage from the capacitive filter. you are not feeling it in other rooms as carpet is a better insulator on the floor.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back