kitchen extension - cavity wall - dry concrete?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi, hope someone can answer my query.

I'm currently having a kitchen extension done and the builder have just completed concrete block footings to dpc height.
They have just poured dry bags of concrete into the cavity walls, is this OK?

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
The foundation masonry of a typical cavity wall would have concrete poured into the cavity up to within three courses (225mm) of the dpc.

They may have used a dry mix if the cavity had plenty of moisture or standing water already present within. Not unusual in the UK.

I did not know that we can buy "dry bags of concrete"

If you mean bags of concrete sand then that is not OK

The foundation masonry of a typical cavity wall would have concrete poured into the cavity up to within three courses (225mm) of the dpc.

They may have used a dry mix if the cavity had plenty of moisture or standing water already present within. Not unusual in the UK.

Hi yes there is plenty of moisture and water built up within the footings.
Concrete or bags of cement, I'm not a builder so don't know.

Will this go hard over time or stop dry?

Thanks for your help

Sponsored Links
Do the builders ride off into the sunset on their horses at the end of the working day ?? :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

It's not usually put in bone dry. A stiff mix is made up and put in, tamped down then trowelled off level. ;) ;)

It's not usually put in bone dry. A stiff mix is made up and put in, tamped down then trowelled off level. ;) ;)

We had to recently.

There was so much water present that it was pointless adding water prior to filling the cavity, thats why i mentioned the water issue.

By the way, it is common practice to do this with situations where there is a prevalence of water hanging about, like in a trench bottom for example.

We had to recently.

There was so much water present that it was pointless adding water prior to filling the cavity, thats why i mentioned the water issue.

By the way, it is common practice to do this with situations where there is a prevalence of water hanging about, like in a trench bottom for example.

That's a very similar circumstance to this.

Thanks for your advice mate.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back