kitchen extension creates L shaped room

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Evening all, i have just built a rear extension, which now creates a new L shaped kitchen, from the original hallway doorway you will now see the new french doors of the new extension, the dividing wall not yet removed. I now need to tile over the underfloor heating in the new kitchen area, however within the new kitchen is a recessed sealed manhole covering the foul sewer, my problem is where the hell do i start tiling from, my initial thoughts are to take a line from the hallway doorway in the existing kitchen through to the new french doors and come off that at 90 degrees, or work off the manhole cover, I should point out that the existing floor tiles in the original kitchen have yet to be removed. To clarify the picture, its an L shaped kitchen, but the larger area is to right. appreciate your advice as always.

Rich

Sponsored Links
Any chance of a little sketch with sizes & manhole location? Assume it’s a screeded floor? Are you retaining access to the manhole? Apart from the tile line, thinking you may need a decoupling membrane, an expansion joint or even both!

Don't start until you know where the tile edges will fall, check every edge of the room in all directions to ensure you don't get left with difficult or messy cuts. Tile size affects this.

Think about where the floor is seen from.

Time spent planning will save time later, some guidance in the sticky at the top, the more edges the more time you have to spend planning..

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back