Should I tile over original quarry tiles

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
More of a design question rather than a “how to”. Getting close to finishing the kitchen extension. Going for grey slate tiles in that. Quite a large area, almost 40sqm. The kitchen is semi opened up to the breakfast room. Basically 2 openings (no doors) with a chimney breast separating where I plan to bung in a double sided log burner. So the 2 rooms kind of flow into each other. The breakfast room has original herringbone quarry tiles in. A really nice feature. My misses recons I should continue the tiles from the kitchen into the breakfast room to help the flow. I kind of agree but feel loathed to cover up the smashing quarry tiles. Kind of wish they were crap then it would be an easy decision.

What to do? Pics of the tiles against the hallway parquet and another looking from the new kitchen towards the breakfast room where our makeshift kitchen is.

Attachments

• CC2D5E26-A573-4353-ACA2-3C66B77943BE.jpeg
    CC2D5E26-A573-4353-ACA2-3C66B77943BE.jpeg
    226.8 KB · Views: 328
  • BC03B5EF-E22C-4854-BE98-C052EA0D76C2.jpeg
    BC03B5EF-E22C-4854-BE98-C052EA0D76C2.jpeg
    343.5 KB · Views: 352
Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
So..... I still dont know! I’m about 4 weeks off tiling so have time to mull it over. Asking lots of people for input in the mean time.

It would be a real shame to cover up (and probably ruin) the original floor. If you wanted continuity I'd have gone for making the new floor blend with the old rather than the other way round but its a bit late for that. As is I'd keep the existing floor and blend the rooms with wall finish

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back