removing concrete layer above quarry tiles?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there. First post on the forum, hope this is in the right place! In a nutshell, we've just discovered that 1/4 inch under the incredibly ugly concrete floor in our kitchen are quarry tiles. Almost certainly, these are the originals from when the house was built (circa 1900).

In a few places the concrete is a poor enough shape that I've been able to chip it away (I'm afraid I've been using a blunt knife and a hammer...) but mainly, I suspect it needs some kind of chisel.

The tiles are in reasonable shape beneath the concrete, so far they all seem to be whole.

The room actually has a bit of a damp problem, which I don't think is helped by the concrete floor, so I'm pretty keen to get this up asap. If totally necessary, I could take the room out of action over a weekend, say, but any longer than that would be tricky (though I could stop kids from going in).

The big issue, obviously, is how to get the concrete up without damaging the tiles.

All thoughts welcome! TIA

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back