Kitchen Extension - Smart Lighting?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
In the middle of building an extension which will hold a kitchen and a utility room. The extension itself is a bit of a size (6m x 6m) and there will be a back door inside the utility room.

Rather than have switches for the lights (there will need to be a lighting solution in the kitchen and one in the utility room all linked together ie can turn on the lights from outside the utility room and also at the entrance of the kitchen.

I was thinking is there some sort of PIR (or multiple PIRs) that would solve this issue. I could put one in the utility room which would turn on the light in there (although i could just put in a switch as its not massive). I could put a few in the kitchen which would make the light/s (there will probably be 3 individual lighting lights in there) turn on when there is movement.

I am not too sure what the range is of these things. They would need to cover the 6m so not sure if one would be able to do this and also not sure if these things can be linked up.

Is there anywhere i can look to find out more about these? Anyone done it their place?

Googling seems to find the Alexa type lighting which isnt really what i want.

Thanks

Lee

Sponsored Links
Pretty much any PIR will cover a 6x6m area.

Installing one in a kitchen as the sole means of controlling the lighting is a terrible idea.

If you have some counter lights or other way to light kitchen then a wifi switch can work, however you want one requiring a neutral if possible as no problem finding compatable bulbs.

In theroy IFTTT will allow all sorts, However in practice simple is best.

Sponsored Links
You can get light switches with built in pir offering both options for switching I used ceiling mounted pir to switch shower lighting and fan (no windows) , had timer on it, worked well.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back