Kitchen extractor duct size

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys,not sure if this is the right place to post this, bought my house 15 odd years ago and when we did the kitchen my dad who was an electrician fitted a kitchen extractor fan with pull cord that was vented to outside, it was a big old beefy thing and a few years ago I disconnected it and threw it away as I wanted a slimline one,
Anyhow my issue is that up til then I just stuck a vent over the hole thru to outside to stop bugs getting in etc,and now decided to replace the extractor, the issue is the ducting to outside is 80mm diameter and I can't find any fans anywhere that their spigot will fit inside this ducting, all the hole sizes to cut are minimum 100mm, so I'm kinda stuck here as I don't want to start chopping out brickwork, but was told that the regs are if I'm using a recirculating cooker hood then I need an extractor, as I'm about to stick up some plaster coving it's holding me up, I don't know if to just get another cover for it as that will be the easiest option but as I'm not fitting a new kitchen just painting etc and changing cupboard doors do these regs apply? And is it still possible to get fans that would have a diameter on the pipe of around 80mm? as I've given up searching, even if I used a reducer 100mm to 80mm it is not going to allow fan to fit straight to wall so will end up being just as bulky as the old one
Many thanks

Sponsored Links
soozy have you considered going to a hire shop and asking to hire a 117m diamond drill bit + drill for a day and chomping out the remaining 20mm ?

http://www.screwfix.com/p/erbauer-diamond-core-drill-bit-117mm-x-150mm/73171#_=p

Obviously you've lost your guide because the hole is already drilled but you could in theory get a block of timber about 18mm thick, drill a 117mm diameter hole in it and line it up with the hole in the wall as best you can. Then offer the drill bit to the timber template using it as a guide. Drill half way through the wall then repeat the process on the other side.

It won't be perfect but it will get you near enough there, if done carefully and slowly. Do not be tempted to go all the way through from one side or you will get breakage.

If you have stone walls you will need a TCT bit. Diamond core drills like in the link will not work on stone.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back