Kitchen extractor fan faulty (just out of warranty)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone, just a quick query regarding a 3 speed chimney style extractor hood. I've been in the house about 15 months after refurbishing it. It had already been rewired but my electrician changed the layout to suit new kitchen. This fan is fed by a 13a switched fused spur and has the typical push button 3 speeds, off and light.
Just this week the fan has stopped working completely so I thought I would take a look (I'm a self employed heating/plumbing installer) so do know the (very) basics of using a multimeter etc :LOL:
It would appear that I get power to the motor in all speed modes, but before I end up replacing the whole unit just wondered if there was any way I could test the capacitor as it would be a shame to chuck the whole unit if that's all that is wrong with it.
Thanks in advance.

Alex

Sponsored Links
You will need to explain more fully what you have. Is it one of these
exodraft-chimney-fan.jpg
if so then likely worth repairing however the fan used in a cooker hood is unlikely to have any user replaceable parts so even if you wanted it is unlikely you could buy what you need.

It's just an ordinary domestic hood, but the motor/fan unit doesn't look like those, it's mounted horizontally rather than vertically like the ones in your piccy.
I think you may be right I might just have to buy a new hood complete.
Bloody cheap sh1te!! They dont make things like they used to! :LOL:

Alex

Sponsored Links
Just because the appliance is out of warranty, does not mean the retailer is excluded from responsibility if the appliance becomes faulty. The sales of goods act says "goods must last a reasonable time", this could be anything up to six years from the date when purchased.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back