Kitchen extractor fan hole cover up

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have recently removed the old disused fan from my kitchen roof to decorate. I don't really want to put it back up as its discoloured. I also don't really want to plaster it as its not a big hole, roughly 10" x 10".

Is there any products on the market some as plastic cover plates similar to something you would put over an old junction box?

Thanks for helping.

Sponsored Links
Do you mean roof, or ceiling? Why does it need to be a big hole to plaster?

Sponsored Links
Is there any products on the market some as plastic cover plates similar to something you would put over an old junction box?
On "quickie" jobs I've often used 12mm or even 6mm MDF sawn with a bevelled edge all round then painted in. Done properly it looks neat enough. Better would be to patch the hole by fixing 2 x 1 slate laths above the original plasterboard (screwed through the existing ceiling adjacent to the opening) then fixing a fairly tightly fitting plasterboard offcut in position. The joints are scrimmed and holes and are quickly skimmed in using one-coat plaster and sanded off when dry before painting. Personally I can't see why anyone would bother developing a product to do this at all on the grounds that when extraction fans fail they are generally replaced using the existing openings, or the entire kitchen is being replaced/revamped so dealing with holes becomes part of that process.....

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back