Removing stuck extractor fan?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone,

Basically I have an extractor fan (like those used in bathrooms) that has recently died. It should have been an easy thing to replace, but what I found after unscrewing it was that it seems to be stuck on! :(

I think it is probably stuck on by a combination of decorator's caulk, expanding foam, and most importantly no-more-nails. And the hole is probably a very tight fit for the extractor fan.

I have already tried using decorator's knives to go around the edge all around, and pulling with a couple pairs of pliers. There's absolutely no movement.

I don't want to use a chisel and go crazy because I'm worried about damaging the plaster around. And I can't go to the other side and push the extractor because it's covered by an air brick.

So, any ideas what I can try to remove this extractor fan please?

I've attached a picture.

Thanks.

Attachments

• IMG_20150929_205051.jpg
    IMG_20150929_205051.jpg
    98.4 KB · Views: 310
Sponsored Links
There has to be some sort of damage here, I'm afraid.....try to get a blade behind or if that fails snap bits of the fan away. The replacement should cover most of the damage.
John :)

Yes I thought about using a Dremel and just hacking bits off.
But I'm worried that the middle "tube" section will just stay in the hole with no way of getting out :(

Claw hammer under the edge and just lever off slowly , any damage is easily rectified.

Sponsored Links
Looking again at the picture, it looks like it's been bedded on expanding foam.

Have you got a dremel? If so, you could cut through the legs that hold the fan on, then cut just inside the opening and take the frame off. This will then leave the spigot to cut through.

A little powder filler should see the plaster right.

I'd rip out the centre fan motor, which would give you the access to attack the surround from the inside. Another way would be to make a cut through the surround with a hacksaw blade, and try to peel the housing away. There will always be minor damage though - that's the way it is.
John :)

Thanks guys.

As soon as the family is out of the house, I will try to cut the legs holding the motor, then dremel around the rim of the tube, as suggested. Hopefully this will allow me to pull the outer frame out without visible damage.

Then I guess the tube that's left in will need to be chiselled away bit by bit...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back