Kitchen extractor hood just stopped working - any ideas?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My Neff extractor hood has just stopped working for no immediately obvious reason. I've changed the fuse on the power switch but no change. I can access the electrics within the hood but have no real idea what I can reasonably check/replace.

Made of up of a fairly standard 2-speed fan and double light (powered by single switch).

If anyone can give me any pointers I'd be very grateful.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Have the lights and the fan stopped working.

If so its usually one of the lamps has popped and taken out the fuse in the FCU for the extract fan. Is that what you meant by
the fuse on the power switch
?

If its like one I looked at last Week , it was absolutley full of Congealed Fat etc , it was on recirculate and had been fitted about 12 years ago , And the Filter had never been changed !

Told the Guy to buy a new one , Lets face it after 12 years he`d had his Moneys worth !!

Lucky

Sponsored Links
Have the lights and the fan stopped working.

If so its usually one of the lamps has popped and taken out the fuse in the FCU for the extract fan. Is that what you meant by
the fuse on the power switch
?

Yes, both fan and lights have stopped working.

You're exactly right, I've changed the fuse (tried several) in the FCU that I can only assume powers the hood and that didn't fix things.

I can access the electrics within the hood and there's nothing obviously wrong (loose connections etc so I'm not sure what my next step is.

If its like one I looked at last Week , it was absolutley full of Congealed Fat etc , it was on recirculate and had been fitted about 12 years ago , And the Filter had never been changed !

Told the Guy to buy a new one , Lets face it after 12 years he`d had his Moneys worth !!

Lucky

Thanks.

I just wanted to look at working out what has gone wrong (and hopefully save a bit of money) before going down the replacement route but I think this one has been there for about 10 years too so I am minded to agree with your suggestion.

Do you have a multimeter or two=probe test device?

You need to check in the FCU that feeds the hood to check if there is voltage (both live and Neutral) on the load side of the FCU.

If there is power there then there is a fault in the extract hood itself and you'd need to trace the power round the appliance. Maybe there is a faulty switch. Some of them only work when teh door/flap is opened - this is operated by a microswitch and they can stick/break.
There's lots of different types.

Do you have a multimeter or two=probe test device?

You need to check in the FCU that feeds the hood to check if there is voltage (both live and Neutral) on the load side of the FCU.

If there is power there then there is a fault in the extract hood itself and you'd need to trace the power round the appliance. Maybe there is a faulty switch. Some of them only work when teh door/flap is opened - this is operated by a microswitch and they can stick/break.
There's lots of different types.

Thanks, I do have a multimeter.

The power switch and fan switches are separate so it seems there is a lack of power to everything, which is why I suspected the FCU to start with.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back