Kitchen fitting quote too high?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

Appreciate a little advice

Have a kitchen approx 4m by 3m - bare bones thus everything accessible (no floor covering and walls need plastering)

My builder quoted me the following which i think is a little unreasonable in places but do not have the experience to challenge

Re-ply over floorboards - £400
electrical rewire of fitted kitchen - £900
replumb fitted kitchen (1 rad, a waste and supply to appliances) - £1300
lintel placed in chimney breast and middle cut away - £600
replaster walls and small disturbed areas - £800
french doors to garden += installation - £1300
lay new floor - £200
fit kitchen - £800
fitted cabinet round boiler - £200

thanks for any advice - any body recommend a good builder around North London??

Cheers, James :?:

Sponsored Links
I'm afraid inside the M25 are normally the most expensive, best to get a few more quote. My uncle live at NW8 area and always use me for building work as the price is sky high. Without seeing your place, I can't say.

As i mentioned in an earlier post, we had a chap fit our new kitchen, tile the walls and floors, plumb in the appliances, all for £700.00 and he did an exceptional job (Norfolk).

I had already removed the old kitchen and laid the new pipework for the re routed services. (A Corgi engineer did the final coupling of the Gas and checked). I also did all of the rewiring and then had it checked out by a qualified tradesman (£60.00).

If you have the time and are DIY inclined I would consider doing items 1,3,7 and 9 yourself and save some £££'s.

The price for the French doors seems fine to me if they are a good quality door. The other items I can't comment on and wouldn't do myself, especially fitting the kitchen, it one of the things that once you have the knack and know what your are doing its ok. Good luck :D

Lay floor, about right.

Fit kitchen , that is a good average price.

Boiler housing, if you are suppling the cabinet and it is just modified to fit
should be tops £30. If it has to be custom built and you supply the door, about £100 including materials.

As to the rest, without seeing it is very hard to know. I have paid in the past to have all that you described done in various fits that I have done, some of your prices seem a little high to me but I'd rather those that know pass comment.

Best advice, as already given get a couple more quotes

Sponsored Links
jimbob,q1 how many cabinets?
q2 french doors-is that labour and materials supplied?
q3 what kind(material) of new floor?
q4 did fitting the kitchen include a tile splash back?
q5 what kind of work tops?

thanks in advance

jimbob,q1 how many cabinets?
q2 french doors-is that labour and materials supplied?
q3 what kind(material) of new floor?
q4 did fitting the kitchen include a tile splash back?
q5 what kind of work tops?

thanks in advance

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back