Kitchen Fitting Tips and Equipment

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all / looking for any tips really

Im about to have delivery of a Howdens kitchen and to save some cash plan on fitting myself with the help of my old man

The units come pre-assembled anyway so cant see what the difficulty would be in fitting YET that is

If we do have problems ill get someone in no problem - plan on getting someone to tile the floors and above the worktops anyway but kitchen fitting I see as a way to save some money which is getting tight - Im Ok with plumbing it myself too

We are having a quartz top so the man from howdens I gather comes and templates and fits that

I did do the last temporary kitchen we had and apart from the mitres on the cornices that was easy really - just have to take your time and plan

This time I want it to look a bit better so plan on getting some kind of mitre saw - hopefully not too expensive as will hardly ever use it again - does anybody have any recommendation of a fairly cheap mitre saw that would do the job or any other tips please - looking for any advice

Ive been reading various thing about tiling first or after and the consensus is that there is no preferred way really

Tiling everywhere would make sense getting things in and out if we need to I suppose

But any tips would be appreciated

Sponsored Links
Buy a decent saw and sell it on afterwards, difference in price is then your “hire” charge.

Tiling the floor wall to wall is a great idea, but as your on a budget I wouldn't bother, I'd fit the kitchen and tile afterwards, but raise the kitchen by the thickness of the tile plus tile adhesive plus maybe self leveling compound. So if you have a 150mm plinth then set the kitchen for 165mm plinth. The downside is base unit end panels, you could fit them to existing floor and scribed to the wall, remove them then tile and adjust to suit, all adjustment made at bottom of panel.

Otherwise, make sure base units are bang on perfectly level and plumb. The stone fitter won't thank you otherwise and you could end up with crap joints on the work top.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back