Kitchen Floor. Laminate or Ceramic over Vinyl ???

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My mate has just bought a house and following weeks of decorating he has come to the point of laying a new floor in the kitchen, thing is he can't decide what to lay- Ceramic tiles or laminate.

Thing is, the floor already has some well glued down vinyl floor tiles in place and a new kitchen has been fitted
If he goes for ceramic tiles can we tile over the vinyl treating it with pva beforehand and if so whats the best product out there to use as an adhesive.

Secondly, If he goes for laminate do we have to lay it from wall to wall or can we finish it off just under the plinths, surely as i pointed out to him, this would cause future problems in the floor moving ? We can't batton the floor under the kitchen units as they have been all fitted.

Any tips or advice would be gratefully received.

Sponsored Links
skybluescooby said:
My mate has just bought a house and following weeks of decorating he has come to the point of laying a new floor in the kitchen, thing is he can't decide what to lay- Ceramic tiles or laminate.

Thing is, the floor already has some well glued down vinyl floor tiles in place and a new kitchen has been fitted
If he goes for ceramic tiles can we tile over the vinyl treating it with pva beforehand and if so whats the best product out there to use as an adhesive.

Yes. Forget the pva. Make sure they're clean though. I use Feb fastset cause it's cheap and does the job well.

Secondly, If he goes for laminate do we have to lay it from wall to wall or can we finish it off just under the plinths, surely as i pointed out to him, this would cause future problems in the floor moving ? We can't batton the floor under the kitchen units as they have been all fitted.

Under the plinths is fine.

Any tips or advice would be gratefully received.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back