Kitchen Floor - Tile to units?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I was wondering if someone could give me a bit of advice please.

I am fitting my kitchen, and I would like to put some ceramic floor tiles down.

Should I fit my units in and then tile upto the units, or should I tile the kitchen and the fit the units?

Thanks,

Sponsored Links
personly i would tile then fit units,or at least tile some way under them and then fit the bottom boards,may have to cut them that way though ;)

matter of choice. ARe you likely to ever have the legs exposed if not theres not much point in tiling under the main units as youll never see it. Its a bit of a debate that rages on here. Personally i cant see the point of paying for what you will never see or use. You wouldnt tile under your bath but its down to you.

Hi Andy,
the standard proceedure is to fit the units, then tile up to them.
It saves money on tiles you'll never see and saves you having to protect the floor while your fitting the units ( from dropped hammers and screws trapped on the underside of the unit as you drag it across the floor etc.)
Also of the floor is uneven it lets you level up the units first before you tile up to them.
As already stated though its up to you, if it bothers you to have unfinished floor under the units then go ahead and tile first.

Sponsored Links
I'm happy with that I think I will tile upto the units.

Thanks for the advice.

Andy

if you are going to tile under any freestanding appliances dont forget to raise the datum level of the worktop by the thickness of the tiles to allow for it

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back