Kitchen hood extractor

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi,

I need to run the ducting from my cooker hood to the outside wal but unfortunately my conservatory is in the way. The joists run away from this wall and the ducting will be going in the joist space. There is currently a boxed in area at the wall that the ducting can drop into and travel horizontally along the wall but must then go up again to exit through the wall due to a joist being in the way. This essentially creates a u bend in the ducting, how much of an issue would this be for condensation and moisture collecting in the ducting and not having anywhere to go?

Thanks in advance,

Al

Sponsored Links
If by U-bend you mean that you will be creating a trap then its a definite no.
Creating any kind of U-bend doesn't sound too clever.
Why not post a photo of what you have, & explain on the photo where you would like to go?

Hi,

Thanks for the reply

1hdt1i.jpg

The channel to the left where the electrics are hanging is where the duct will be travelling to the wall. It cannot exit the wall there however as the conservatory is behind it. The channel in the centre of the picture can be used as an exit for the duct but there is a large timber lintel for the window that sits just below the joists. This would mean the duct would go along the left channel,drop into the box and then travel to the right before going up again to exit the wall above the lintel. Does this make sense?

Thanks for your help.

When ducting you should always be slightly rising or at least level.
You would be making a trap (similar to a waste trap below a sink) and condensation might form and create a pool of unhealthy moisture to be perhaps discharged over an opened window.
I've seen ducting from bathroom ceiling extractors drooping in lofts and the extraction efficiency drops dramatically plus condensing moisture collects.
Maybe you will be best off with an recirculating hood extractor.

Just so long as you dont have a wood burner in the kitchen you could fit a powerful conventional wall extractor to remove humid and condensing air.

If you enquired on a dedicated Kitchen Fitting web site there might be more possibilities on offer.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Yeah that's what I'm afraid of, I suspect it may eventually fill with water from condensation. I'm now considering a flat ceiling hood whereby I would build a box to mount it that would be the same height as the current box and would then meet it at the wall so there would be just one rise at the end and no trap. I'll have a think.

Thanks for your help

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back