Kitchen hood faulty

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone,

Need some advice my cooker hood please. The fan stopped working, and only produced a very soft hum when it is switched on. The lights on the hood still work. Please correct me if I’m wrong, but I suspect the motor is faulty. I took the motor casing down, opened it up, and hand-spun the fan, and it felt stiff (could this be caused by accumulated grease?). I even unscrewed the main motor itself, fiddled with it, and clumsily (and probably incorrectly) reassembled it.

The hood model is Electrolux EFC62380OX. I understand it is pretty cheap around £100. Ideally, I just want to replace the whole motor casing, and be done with it. The only website I could find it on is ransomspares, and it costs £190+. Too expensive.

Questions are:
1) Am I right that the motor is faulty here? Could it have been grease accumulating in the motor shaft?
2) Can I replace the main motor? Is there a standard motor out there I can swap in for? I don’t know how to solder, but if I must I’ll learn.
3) I am also reluctantly looking at new hoods. Have not spent much time researching yet. But just signed up to Which, and the units they recommend are years-old.
4) Any other general advice?

Thanks all,
Jenn

Sponsored Links
I have sprayed WD40 or similar on the shafts many times to get the motors running again. They normally have a self aligning bearing it is round on outside, if the round ball like bit rotates in housing then you have a problem and likely need a new motor, if the shaft is rotating inside the ball then likely you can free it off.

Sponsored Links
Hi all,
Thanks for the reply. jj4091, that is a good idea of dismantling a similar unit. Definitely cheaper than buying just a part.
ericmark, I've tried the WD40, it didn't fix it unfortunately.

1) Another symptom is that when I spun the fan, it feels stiff. This does support the fact that it's the motor, doesn't it?
2) Also, as I'm looking for a whole replacement, does anyone know any good models? The Which review website lists a few old models. And I don't have much to go by.
3) Are these motors standardised by any way? Are there way/where to buy one?

Thanks for all the help again.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back