Wiring a replacenent Cooker hood motor (speed control)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi I am looking for some help please .

My Rangemaster cooker hood stopped working sometime ago, I’ve stripped the hood down and degreased the hood. Ive diagnosed the problem to be a faulty motor. I’ve bought a replacement motor, like for like, although the new motor has the same coloured wires but is now wired slightly differently.

I have used connector blocks to connect the new motor to the molex connector using the same coloured wires. But this results in only 2 speeds working (should be 3)

Can an anyone help me to determine how the the new motor cables correlate to where the old motor was wired so I can have the full functionality.

I’ve included pictures and the new motor plan, please can anyone help?

Thanks

Attachments

• C97B36A8-25CE-423F-83E8-737579802A45.jpeg
    C97B36A8-25CE-423F-83E8-737579802A45.jpeg
    443.4 KB · Views: 139
  • 00E88099-DB8D-4D4A-98F6-ED8B68DC8859.jpeg
    00E88099-DB8D-4D4A-98F6-ED8B68DC8859.jpeg
    283.3 KB · Views: 148
Sponsored Links
Are the pink and blue wires the wrong way round?

You can test the wires for resistance, the higher the resistance the lower the fan speed.

Blup

Thanks I will check that. I’ve also realised that it now seems to be blowing air out rather than sucking it in, could this be related to the way in which it’s wired as in the motor is rotating the other way round?

Sponsored Links
Is there anyway from looking at the pictures and diagrams to work out which way it needs to be wired? I’ve joined it to the existing molex with the same wiring colours.
Any help will be much appreciated:)

So running the wrong way is not reversed polarity as it is an AC motor. The coil connections must be wrong. Is there anymore information other than the diagram available. You may need to get a multi meter & measure between the contacts to work out how the coils are connected in the old & new. It looks to me like the LHS is a double coil & the RHS is a single. My guess looking at it would be the white & blue need reversing but would not suggest trying that without metering them first.

Sorry this is the new motor, the other pic was the old one.(sorry it’s not the best )

BE283F3A-F86E-41AB-8810-80465C9454AA.png

On looking again the top and bottom row of numbers are different for each fan. If they represent a part number then it would suggest they have sent you the wrong part. Similar but not the same wiring, possibly for a different model?
You do not mention your model number but I found this on the Whitegoods site

Rangemaster Cooker Hood​

TBC

PLEASE NOTE: There are 2 possible motor designs for Rangemaster Classic 90cm cooker Hoods. Please see the Technical image showing both motors

Please Note:~ For the following hoods with serial number starting with 8928/8931/8933/8935/8937/8929/8930/8932/8934/8936/8938/8939. You will need to buy the motor connector kit.

I think you may need to search for one with your hoods serial number to be sure of getting the correct part if you have not already done that.

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back