Cooker hood

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
My cooker extractor motor has started either making a screeching noise on start up or humming and not running , both go away and it starts working normally after about a minute. I've took the motor off as I wasn't sure if there was a capacitor on it that was failing or if it was getting seized up due to grease/age, there is no capacitor and I can turn it freely by hand so assuming there is a problem with the windings. Looking at getting a new motor but think it may be easier and not much more to just get a new extractor hood complete-which would have better LED lighting. I don't know what the current air flow of the motor I have is and the only info I have is that it is a 310 motor, but one issue I've noticed is that our hood doesn't sit directly about the centre of the cooker. The cooker is 690mm away from the wall and the edge of the hood is 490mm which means when you use the front rings that steam etc isn't always getting sucked under the hood. Not sure if this was due to inadequate flow rate or just bad layout. Should chimney hoods be directly over the cooker? Would an angled one be better for me? I would imagine that as shown in the pic the distance shouldn't be that much of an issue and the extractor should be able to pull any steam towards the hood?
Cooker hood.png

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back