cooker hood - regulations

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just had a new gas cooker fitted. The installer said the existing cooker hood /extractor was too low/too close to the hob.

I'm not sure if this is a cooker-specific recommendation or something in Building Regs about all cookers/hoods.

I'm sure when originally fitted it would have been done to the standards applying then.

So how worried should I be?

Is there a genuine safety issue?
Is there a Building Regs issue?

Sponsored Links
There is a minimum distance a gas hob has to be from an extractor, can't remember what it it.

What cooker do you have and what distance is it from the extractor.

United Kingdom
Posted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 8:06 pm Post Subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

With no manufacturers instructions it is 760mm above a standard hob to any combustible surface.

If the hood manufacturer or extractor manufacturer allows it it can often be dropped to 650mm.

Manufacturers instructions always over ride the gas regs

Read more: //www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=647561#647561#ixzz1TncuZJy6

Sponsored Links
United Kingdom
Posted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 8:06 pm Post Subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

With no manufacturers instructions it is 760mm above a standard hob to any combustible surface.

If the hood manufacturer or extractor manufacturer allows it it can often be dropped to 650mm.

Manufacturers instructions always over ride the gas regs

Read more: //www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=647561#647561#ixzz1TncuZJy6[/QUOTE]

you need to check MI of both the cooker and the extractor and must leave a space equal to the largest of the 2 dimensions (if they are different)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back