Kitchen light help

Morning guys,
Just switched the electrics of to have a look at the rose again and it is wired up like riveralt had suggested (thanks mate :D ). Once got hold of some terminals will give it a go. Is it ok to use a single two terminal block for the loop and then the earth wires?

Sponsored Links
Morning guys,
Just switched the electrics of to have a look at the rose again and it is wired up like riveralt had suggested (thanks mate :D ). Once got hold of some terminals will give it a go. Is it ok to use a single two terminal block for the loop and then the earth wires?

Assuming your conductor colours are brown-live, blue-neutal and green/yellow-earth.
A single four block terminal should be enough - one for the live loop(brown), one for the neutral loop(blue), one for the earth loop and one for the switch live - which may be blue (brown sleeve on).
These all go one side of the terminal block. On the other side of the block connect your light's brown cable to the switch live (blue/brown sleeve) and blue cable to the blue(neutral). You said the light is class 2 so there will be no earth to connect.

Most new lights already come with a terminal block attached - again normally four block with L N and Earth marked and another blank terminal. If this is the case then the live loop goes to the blank terminal - the neutral loop to the N terminal, the switch live to the L terminal and the earth to the earth terminal.

Not 100% sure on what you are asking, but

There is no problem using two pieces that are still attached together for earth and loop, but you may not use a single piece and put earth in one end, and loop in the other....well not unless you actually want it to go bang :LOL:

Sponsored Links
Sorry guys one last question. Just gone and picked up some terminals. Asked guy in shop which one to get and he said to go for the 30A. Is this a but over kill? Bit worried also due to the size of the new light rose and the terminal that it won't fit. If doesn't can the terminated loop and earth be put into the ceiling cavity?

Sorry if these questions all seem a little strange but as said am a complete newbie and don't want to make a pigs ear of it.

Thanks

Sorry guys one last question. Just gone and picked up some terminals. Asked guy in shop which one to get and he said to go for the 30A. Is this a but over kill?
It is a bit big but you shouldn't have any problems fitting the cables in.
Bit worried also due to the size of the new light rose and the terminal that it won't fit. If doesn't can the terminated loop and earth be put into the ceiling cavity?
I would put the terminal block in a chocbox if you are going to push it back into the ceiling cavity.

Are you sure that the light itself doesn't come with a four block terminal block attached?

if anyone i sonline i could do with some help. I have gone to fit the new light and found that the old light was wired as follows:

2 x earth
2 x brown cable into loop
and then 1 blue iand i blue with black shrowd into live/neutral

problem now is i can't remember which is the live and have nothing to test against......help!

if anyone i sonline i could do with some help. I have gone to fit the new light and found that the old light was wired as follows:

2 x earth
2 x brown cable into loop
and then 1 blue iand i blue with black shrowd into live/neutral

problem now is i can't remember which is the live and have nothing to test against......help!

From your description this old ceiling rose sounds like the last one on the circuit.

You really should be testing to establish what is what but on the assumption that brown is live loop - earth = earth - blue = neutral and blue with sleeve is switched live.

On one side A of the terminal block put both earths together into one terminal. Still on same side put both brown cables into one terminal. Still on same side put the blue into one terminal - still on same side put blue (with sleeve - should be brown sleeving by the way) into the final terminal on side A.

On side B put the blue cable from the light into the terminal opposite the blue(neutral).
On side B put the brown cable from the light into the terminal opposite the blue (with sleeving).

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back