Kitchen light help

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys,
new to the forum and to all things diy. Bought my first place last year and have kept putting off changing the kitchen light. As its a new house the present light is just a single bulb fitted to the ceiling. Went to wickes today and bought one of these to replace it

http://www.wickes.co.uk/Hamilton-4-Bar-Bow-Spotlight/invt/162027

Got it out of the box earlier and thought this should be easy, however have now come a bit unstuck. When i removed the ceiling light there is the standard live, neutral and earth, however on the new light fitting there are only connectors for live and neutral. Is this standard? How should i wire up the light?

Hope someone can help.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Does the new fitting say 'Double Insulated' or have the 'square within a square' symbol ?

If so it does not require an earth and these can be connected together in a seperate connector (ie not connected to the new light)

Live to live, neutral to neutral, earth has a little piece of green&yellow sleeving and terminate it in a piece of insulated terminal strip.

Check that the light has the square-in-a-square Double Insulated symbol which means it does not need an earth.

Do not cut off the earth wire in case it's needed in the future.

On the safety instructions it does say double insultated. How should i connect the earth wire from the ceiling? and connect it to what?

Sponsored Links
Thats it.

For refernce, this is one way of joining conductors inside of an enclosure (such as a base of a light), you must not used it outside of an enclosure (for example by poking lighting connections back into the ceiling void/roofspace)

Dingbat - thanks but think that will be a bit over kill for my small kitchen!

Thanks for all the help guys. So if i get some of those terminals for the earth cable and leave it in the enclosure with the connections for live and neutral. is that right?

Given that this is a new house I take it your current ceiling light is a single pendent attached to a ceiling rose.

Because if it is then you will need to ensure that the live loop, neutral loop and earth loop are properly terminated and that your switch live goes to the correct terminal on the new light.

Can you explain what you mean please? When i removed the light earlier i could easily distinguish between the live, neutral and earth by the colour wire.

btw The existing light isn't on a pendant, it is just a bulb holder in the rose if that makes any sense. looking something like this

http://www.oceanlighting.co.uk/view_image.html?image_id=3617&product_id=7621[/QUOTE]

Have a look at this on Wiki

//www.diynot.com/wiki/electrics:lighting:rose

Inside the batten holder you should have a similar layout to this - the blue and brown wires on the first diagram are the wires that go to the top of the batten.

If not photograph what you have.

Can you explain what you mean please? When i removed the light earlier i could easily distinguish between the live, neutral and earth by the colour wire.

btw The existing light isn't on a pendant, it is just a bulb holder in the rose if that makes any sense. looking something like this

http://www.oceanlighting.co.uk/view_image.html?image_id=3617&product_id=7621[/QUOTE]

Have a look at this on Wiki

//www.diynot.com/wiki/electrics:lighting:rose

Inside the batten holder you should have a similar layout to this - the blue and brown wires on the first diagram are the wires that go to the top of the batten.

If not photograph what you have.

In the original post, the op says he/she has live, neutral and earth. So I think this must consist of one simple cable with the three wires coming out of it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back