Kitchen Lighting

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all :)

i've after some guidance, i'm looking at my existing kitchen (under and over cupboard lights) with a view to adding an extra light in to a new set of cupboards.

Basically the current circuit was put in by a mate (an electrician) years ago as a favour. However it never worked correctly i.e. you couldn't operate the main kitchen lights and the undercupboard lights independently. My father (a machine tools electrician) then sought to resolve this, however after he'd "fixed" it they never worked at all... he never came back to sort the job :(

anyway i'm looking at tackling this myself, i'm reasonably confidence, i've extended the ring main myself elsewhere in the house using this site as a reference.

Before i try to work out where the problem lies, i just wanted to run the existing setup by some of you guys on here....

apologies for the crudeness of this image, basically theres the wire coming in on the left that i assume is from the switch/centre rose (still to be determined). it then hits junction box and spilts, then one of the spilts hits another junction box and spilts again. I would like to know if this is the correct way of doing this? and if some can i just spilt on the cables on the second junction box for my additional light? or just i split one of the ones on the first box?

lighting.jpg

thanks for you time :)

Pete

Sponsored Links
Hi Pete
Are these cupboard lights supposed to come on/off with the kitchen light, or are they switched separately?
Are they controlled by a FCU anywhere in the kitchen?

Hi, the original single switch was changed for a double to operate the cupboard lights. There is no FCU.

Cheers :)

When was it changed - when the lights were first added, or when your father "fixed" it?

What wires are at the switch?

Sponsored Links
the switch was added when is was done originally.

I will check the switch wires, there obviously something no right.

Going back to my diagram above is that the correct way of doing that part? obviously further up there is an issue

There's nothing explicitly wrong with it, but generally its best to avoid JBs as much as possible If however that means that the one(s) you do use have to be large to accommodate lots of cables, and/or you end up with a rat's nest of cables all over the place then judicious use of JBs would be preferable.

Is daisy-chaining from one light to the next not an option?

And are you aware that this work is notifiable?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back