Kitchen Paint Help

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have just had an kitchen extension built and have done all the walls/ceilings in Dulux Matt Brilliant White paint. It looks well.
What I was planning, was where there is likely to be 'food' splashes, and around the sink area, I was going to use the Dulux Matt Diamond paint on the wall area (approx 3 out of 8 walls).

Bu doing this, would there be a huge contrast in finish between the normal matt and the diamond matt? Or should I just leave it as it is?

Sponsored Links
Matt paint isn't particularly good in kitchens as its not wipeable. Eggshell is much better as its completely washable, grease deposits and food stain wipe off easily.

If you don't want to re-paint the whole kitchen you have no choice but to accept a contrast in finish, the only other option i can think of is a clear splash back or tile the area

Would the contrast be drastic, or subtle? I could live with subtle.

The kitchen is well ventilated with an extractor fan to the outside, and roof velux. Is the problem with Matt that is just isn't wipeable, if I was to splash or the surface marked, would be just a simple touch up job?

The kitchen is all painted in Matt, and the kitchen is being fitted on Monday. Ideally, I wish I would of used the Diamond stuff now, but haven't got the time to recoat all the areas as its a huge room. If it does become a problem over time, could I just get a painter in to redo it all after the kitchen has been fitted? And would it be a problem painting over Matt?

Sponsored Links
The contrast won't be 'in yer face' but I agree with dcdec about the eggshell.

Ordinary emulsion which has had grease splashed on it is difficult to restore, even when overpainted. And you don't want to be painting the kitchen wall every time someone overshoots with the tomato sauce.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back