Kitchen Refurb quote + ideas

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I had a kitchen company round to quote me on my 4m x 4m kitchen. On the phone they said "all our doors are made to measure, so there is a minimum order value or £2k". Not a great start!

My kitchen is fairly good, just needs TLC and a bit of sprucing up.

I asked for a quote for:

New work top - 4m of it (they quoted for the budget one)
9x new doors and handles
1x new 1000mm base unit
New sink and taps

For this they quoted me £4000

Got a local firm coming that has amazing reviews on check-a-trade.

My idea is to but the work top myself, and also the sink.

The tiles between work top and cupboards also ideally need changed. So I may ask for them to do that too

Budget is around £2k.

Do you think it's reasonable what I'm expecting?

Sponsored Links
Thats your kitchen in the first image foxhole?

What the material on the walls?

The lighting adds a great effect.

Don't assume CheckATrade reviews mean anything. I had some people from CheckATrade do my bathroom. They had 47 glowing reviews. They were even on the Trading Standards list of approved trades. Complete cowboys. And liars. I threw them out halfway through, and initiated the process for court proceedings. Unfortunately Trading Standards intervened. They agreed the work was below the legally acceptable minimum and I was owed compensation. After six months of them being bamboozled and sweet talked by the cowboys, to the point where I think Trading Standards forgot the issues, and my surveys showing incompetence, and lying, they suggested I accept a modest refund. I refused, and got more, but still not good.

Doubtless some CheckATrade people are good, some aren't, the site does not let you separate the two. I'm convinced some reviews are faked. Also, if the review is good, then a week later the work falls apart, the consumer is not allowed to edit the CheckATrade review. They can remove it, but they can't edit it to say the work was sh1te. And in my experience the people who run CheckATrade are a bunch of *******s.

Sponsored Links
Thats your kitchen in the first image foxhole?

What the material on the walls?

The lighting adds a great effect.
Yes, current kitchen [about to demolish it] was a temp fix, kitchen needs 5X3mtr worktops [expensive] to fill it, so last time the Mrs got bored with tops I covered the existing with floor tiles, that's also what you see on the wall used them for upstand as well. On offer in B&Q at the time just £12 a box of four 60cmx60cm, did the whole kitchen for under £200.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back