Kitchen refurbishment

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi I would like some advice on what tradesmen I will need to help with my kitchen refurbishment and in what order do I need to get them in?

The kitchen is fairly small (10'9 x 5'4)

I will keep the existing cabinets but will replace the doors myself and I will remove the existing tiles and worktop myself.

I will need help with the following:

1. Electric points for new extractor fan, new dishwasher and additional plug sockets (I know I need a qualified electrician to do this)

2. Plumbing for new dishwasher

3. Installing integrated gas hob (requires gas safe engineer)

4. Installing integrated dishwasher, electric oven, extractor fan

5. Installing worktop with cut out areas for hob and sink

6. Plastering where tiles have been removed and around any new wiring

7. Install glass splashback (I may get this measured and installed by the company that supplies the splashback)

Is it advisable and more cost effective to get one person to do most of the work and then get qualified tradesmen to do the gas and electric parts? So far I have had a quote of £400 to do the electrics and £160-£200 for the dishwasher plumbing alone

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Do you live in the house during the works? If so, for how long can you cope without a (fully) functioning kitchen?

No, I haven't moved in yet and will be doing the works before moving in

Well, you should get an electrician to do the electrical work and a registered gas plumber to work on the gas hob. The gas plumber might also be happy to fit the sink. You could also get someone who is used to fitting kitchens to do this along with the other jobs.
Regardless of which route you take, you need to plan carefully what needs doing when. I think first thing is to pull the cabinets forwards and remove the old worktop and tiles, then the electrical work, preparing gas, water, drain pipes, along with making good plaster. This will need to dry out before a splashback can be installed.

Sponsored Links
18 months so far in my case. (I am doing it all myself.)
Hang in there! In our house, we (I) did most of kitchen ourselves (and to some degree still are). The original plan was to only have an electrician for wiring hob and oven and drilling a hole for extractor ducting to the outside, and a gas-safe plumber for disconnecting the old gas cooker. But as everything I did took 3 times as long as I thought, in the end I asked the electrician to fit some new sockets and the plumber to fit a new radiator and change some of the pipework, which I had planned on doing myself.
However, I still need to finish off tiling the splashback, fit an upstand, and in parts touch up some of the paint on the walls. I started four month ago, and once everything was operational and the new floor was laid (all took 3 weekends), I became distracted with other things in and outside the house. I think if the project runs into 18month the Mrs will get upset though...

Thanks a lot for the advice Chris, yes hopefully it won't be too bad as I'm keeping a lot of the existing kitchen and I'll try to keep things as simple! Want to get it functional asap so that I can finally move in. Best of luck with your diy projects

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back