kitchen sink trap wont drain

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
been to a kitchen sink today that wont drain,the trap is clear and i stuck my metal snake 5 metres down the pipe and its clear,i only have to turn the tap on for 5 seconds and it wont drain any ideas

Sponsored Links
If you fill a metre length 40mm pipe with water and note how much that it holds (out of a litre) you should then be able to work out exactly where your blockage lies by tipping a known quantity down the sink from a measuring jug.

if i unscrew the trap from the sink and just leave it connected to the waste pipe and then pour water down it it runs away fine

Sponsored Links
That doesn't make any sense. Have you left the plug in? :p

exactly it dont make sense as i would pressume that if i can pour water down it freely when its not connected to the sink then theres no blockage but as soon as i connect it and run the tap for 3-5 sec it wont drain

What if you disconnect the trap, put a bucket under the sink and run the tap?

Also wonder whether a blocked overflow could cause this?

been to a kitchen sink today that wont drain,the trap is clear and i stuck my metal snake 5 metres down the pipe and its clear,i only have to turn the tap on for 5 seconds and it wont drain any ideas
The blockage is 5.5 metres down :idea:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back