Kitchen sounds

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all,

I'm having a new kitchen in the near future and would like to get some kind of sound system that's designed to be fitted under a wall cabinet. I've seen one or two but they seem to be a bit cheap and plasticy!! I would like it to have a radio (possibly DAB) and I would want to be able use my iPod with it.
Any suggestions?

Thanks

Peadee

Sponsored Links
Pretty much everything I've seen that attempts to be "all things to all men" ends up looking like Frankenstein's Monster. It's no wonder that they have to be cheap. I would be embarrassed to own any of the stuff I've seen that tries to incorporate an integrated iPod dock in an under-cabinet design. They're all just hideous.

I think this is one of those occasions that calls for some creative thinking.

If it was me I'd dispense with the iPod dock altogether and go with a Sonos zone player. There's the new ZP5 zone player/speaker. Wire it back to the router and you'll have access to your iTunes library and thousands of online radio stations. Control it with a free Ap on your iPod Touch or iPhone. LINK It's about £350 in the UK.

If having a Hi-Fi in the kitchen is a must then the second option I'd choose would be to install some decent quality (£200 - £400 /pair) in-ceiling speakers. Then buy a good quality Micro Hi-Fi head unit with DAB 'n dock. Install a floating shelf under the kitchen cabinet so the Hi-Fi is off the work surface.

You could always do something similar with a basic Micro Hi-Fi but just mount the standard speakers on top of your kitchen cabinets of course. Might get away with a budget of less than £200 all in for that.

I had the same issue a couple of years ago...I bought a 'Pinnacle Soundbridge Home music network audio player'..bit of a mouthful that...about £55 now and includes a SD slot..mine cost £40 but no SD slot

Its wireless and allows me to run all the radio stations and listern to my Itunes collection..all run from a little remote control. I added a speaker splitter device (not one for the purists i'm afraid) so I can switch between lounge and kitchen or have both on. Then I had a decision to make over speakers ..could have gone wireless but decided to put a small hole in the wall into the fitted kitchen ..no wires showing..then wired up a couple of Kenwood speakers and that did it...
All works a treat..

Sponsored Links
A couple of years ago we went for a squeezebox (as we already had 4 others around the house at that point) and a set of AE aego m 2.1 speakers. The sub is under a kitchen floor cabinet and the satellites are wall mounted either side of a large archway to our back doors.

Cables all chased in to the walls and it all sounds rather good and is still going strong. (plus in the summer we just swing open both sets of back doors, pivot the satellite speakers on the on the brackets to point out of the doors for sound in the garden when we're having a bbq). The speakers may look tiny but they produce a great sound and at quite a good volume (I've not had them past the "shaking things on the kitchen table" level)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back