Kitchen Tap (No hot water)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've got a mixer tap with a pull out Spray /Rinse, Not very expensive but we can only get a trickle of warmish water through at the best. Tried 2 different ones as I thought the first one was faulty. Boiler is upstars and the bathroom taps are fine with lots of pressure.
Kitchen is obivously downstairs and quite a way from the boiler.

Would it be a pressure problem or can cheap versions of this tap just not work very well. We like the idea of the movable rinse and we'd like to get another but don't want to investing another tap if it does the same ?

We have a combi -Boiler if that makes any difference.

Thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
As you have a combi, the pressure should be fine. Has this thing ever worked?
Anyway, you are looking for an isolator valve not fully on, a twisted flexible pipe maybe, a pipe blockage (rare) or maybe those taps simply aren't suitable?
John :)

The more I think the more reckon its the tap. Where would I look for an isolator valve ? I've read other thread about diaphrams going on boilers..... but also found some that say they have the same problem with the same tap.

I didn't want to invest £100 in a new tap without knowing it would work but as I recall the plumber that fitted both the taps couldn't fathom it either.

It must be the tap. I thnk I'll have to bite the big one get a new tap and try and fit it I think, there's no way we'll get a plumber out here before christmas ( well this christmas anyway!!)

Unless there are any other ideas out there ?

Thank for the advice.

Steve

Hi Steve,

If it were a gravity system it's be obviously the mains pressure cold dwarfing the low pressure hot.

Combi system. Like the guy said, iso vlaves (to be found on the pipe work feeding the taps; usually under the sink, they're usually silver with screwdriver slots in the middle - inline with the pipe for on....) But, on one occasion i have come across two seemingly ordinary brass couplers (they look like iso valves, but brass with no screwdriver slot in) that were actually pressure reducing valves!?? They had put one on the hot for some reason? I removed it and hey presto!

Sponsored Links
Thats great, Thanks.
As far as I can see there are no iso valves, but quite a few 90 degree joints which, from what i'm led to believe may reduce the pressure. Anyway I'm ordering a new tap today that needs a minimum of 0.5 bar so I should be able to achieve that ! Hopefully put it on this weekend and report back.

Thanks
Steve

Just for what its worth - I find that mixer taps with flexible tails restrict the water flow considerably....taps with the copper tails are preferred but need more time to fit.
John :)

Interesting... The one I have has copper tails and the one I'm getting has flexible tails....
Hope I can prove your theory wrong !!

Well changed the tap and amazingly it works !!! Thanks for all the advice, but it was the cheap crappy hairdressers tap that was the problem & all with flexible tails too !!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back