Kitchen tap

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have to replace my single hole kitchen tap and am thinking whether it would be better to get a single lever tap rather than separate h&c. I understand the mechanism is more complex - does this make them more expensive,unreliable and leak more? Is any make more reliable than the others, eg Bristan? I live in London so suffer bad limescale. Thanks for any tips or suggestions.

Alan T

Sponsored Links
Thanks motorbiking, hot water is gravity fed from tank, so lower pressure than cold - hasn't been an issue so far. Current tap was fitted by kitchen fitters.

Then choose carefully as many, many taps are designed for 1-3 bar water pressure and can have piddly input hoses, which will affect flow rate. My guess is you have a approx. 0.4-0.5 bar input assuming the kitchen is on the ground of a 2 story house. I'd measure your current flow rate by say timing how long it takes to fill a 2 litre coke bottle or similar and then check if your new tap will achieve similar.

reliability etc is really down to materials / brand etc

Sponsored Links
cold tap fills a 2 litre bottle in 10 seconds, hot takes 22 seconds. Doesn't this just mean you turn the cold on less than the hot? What brands do you like to fit?

Buy a Franke branded tap - great quality and easy to repair when spares are needed

Bristan are good quality and the after service has always been impeccable for me. Warranty is long especially when registered and covers parts and labour. Can't remember what the taps are but the TMV showers are 5 years on both when registered.

Jon

Thanks Jon, I got a Bristan catalogue. Also Astracast sound good as they can do low pressure - are they ok?

Can't vouch for Astracast as I've never installed or used. Only reason I recommend Bristan for a Mid to High end fitting for a modest price is because I use them and fit them. I could honestly say they pi55 all over Mira at the same price level and still do until you get the expensive end of Mira and even then its still close.

The back up is what you want and I was fortunate enough to live by their main office for years and have a few friends that work there but the service is the same for anyone. They do actually pride themselves on that. Even had spares sent outside of warranty free to the customer.

Low pressure then you are limited to ranges but they operate down to 0.1 bar.

Is your cold mains fed? A mixer will struggle if pressures arent balanced. I think Bristan state a 1 bar differential but would need to check. Ideally, and if finances allow, get the hot upgraded and have balanced supplies. You will love the difference!

As for London, again depends on finances but get a softener of some sort. The more you pay the better the results. Guys on here recommend Monarch though not tried one myself yet.

Jon

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back