Kitchen tiling and Cabinet Height Query

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

About to start installing new kitchen and just planning things out. I see the height from the floor to the top of the cabinet should be about 890mm

We are planning on tiling after the kitchen has gone in too... Ive read the pros and cons of both and as the house is in a complete mess I wouldnt want to damage newly laid tiles

Anyway was going to install the cabinets at 890mm as recommended from the screed level. Obviously we would then tile after and so the cabinets would then be 10mm or so lower at a guess

Does this make any difference at all that anybody can think of ie plinths or anything?? Or am I worry about nothing?

Also planning on putting in an american fridge freezer and would like too tile under that - again does that cause any isssues that anybody can think of - sorry for vague query!!

Sponsored Links
You need to have the minimum 35inch gap from final floor finish to underside of kitchen worktop. any less and you will have difficulty in getting 'white goods' in to final location.
The first kitchen I did I made the mistake of not allowing for the floor finish and now have problems in moving the white goods in and out of the respective gaps in the cabinet runs - just about a quarter inch gap between top of whashing machine and the underside of the worktop.

I'd strongly recommend you tile the complete floor then fit the units; allows you some flexibility in making changes later and most importantly if you get a leak it won't sit lower under the kitchen units.

Thanks dude - we havnt even picked tiles yet to be honest and need to get space in house - we really cant move now the cabinets are here so they have to go in now - Theres only water going to the kiitchen island so may put a water sensor on the floor in there just in case (you got me thinking) - If we had tiles here and space I would have tiled first - thats if in fact we go for tiles - we arent 100% set on tiles yet really.... 35inches minimum then from ffl

Sponsored Links
Imo it’s a waste of money tiling a floor only to sit cup’d on top .
I always tile afterwards , also if you are also using a tile above worktop its worth choosing a tile size which helps when fitting around sockets etc .

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back