Kitchen tiling

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Good afternoon all

I am a newbie and would like to give tiling my new kitchen a go.

I have read the basic advice on the forum and although a great help I have 3 more questions:

1) In removing the old tiles, I have taken gouges out of the plaster. I was thinking of mixing some plaster and patching it up myself. Is there any product you advise for this?

2) Once the filling plaster has dried, will I have to prime the plaster before applying the adhesive?

3) I understand the basics of tiling, but am concerned with tiling down to the work top and up to the wall units. Do I apply the silicone sealant prior to tiling and lay the bottom of the tile onto it, or do I tile first and then put silicone in front of the tile.

I suppose lastly, do you advise giving it a go bearing in mind my inexperience or shall I give it a go?

Many thanks in advance for any help.

Regards

george0401

Sponsored Links
Good afternoon all
I am a newbie and would like to give tiling my new kitchen a go.

I have read the basic advice on the forum and although a great help I have 3 more questions:

1) In removing the old tiles, I have taken gouges out of the plaster. I was thinking of mixing some plaster and patching it up myself. Is there any product you advise for this?
One coat plaster is fine.

2) Once the filling plaster has dried, will I have to prime the plaster before applying the adhesive?
Not usually though it shouldn't hurt. You should always follow the instructions on the adhesive pack.

3) I understand the basics of tiling, but am concerned with tiling down to the work top and up to the wall units. Do I apply the silicone sealant prior to tiling and lay the bottom of the tile onto it, or do I tile first and then put silicone in front of the tile.
If there's a wide gap between the back of the worktop and the wall, then fill it or your tile may slip behind. Otherwise don't bother. Just tile up from the worktop and silicone after your grout has dried.

I suppose lastly, do you advise giving it a go bearing in mind my inexperience or shall I give it a go?
Go for it George. Post some pics when you've finished. Good luck.

I would allways seal behind the work surface and the wall prior to tiling. The reason is ANY moisture in a worksurface(not including granite) is bad. Run some clear silicone where the wall meets the worktop prior ro tiling, then tile on top. Thats a guaranteed seal that nothing can get through

Sponsored Links
Thank you both for your input. The gap is not very large but think I will run the adhesive in there just to make certain.

Can I buy the grab adhesive from the DIY shops?

I forgot to ask one question before, I hope you don't mind.

In regards to wall sockets, do I loosen screws and then tile underneath or do I tile up to the sockets?

Thank you again for your help

george0401

Always best to loosen the screws and tile behind switches/ sockets. It's the proper way to do it. Looks much nicer,and far easier to do it that way. You will probably need longer screws though, and DON'T forget to turn off the power!!! ;)

Roughcaster.

Thank you both for your input. The gap is not very large but think I will run the adhesive in there just to make certain.

I forgot to ask one question before, I hope you don't mind.

In regards to wall sockets, do I loosen screws and then tile underneath or do I tile up to the sockets?

Thank you again for your help

george0401

listen to RC he speaks with forked tongue but much sense!

go to any tile store and get some adhesive, go for bal or weber products they are the best to use.

If you want to use grab adhesive then you'll get some from a DIY shop - you might not get the product I posted a link to at DIY shops, builders merchants maybe. But listen, it's not essential, you use grab adhesive..... that's just what I use. I like using it cause it dries hard and stuff sticks to it better than silicone.

Thanks again.

The area I am tiling is pretty standard in height, i.e from worktop to bottom of wall units. I am however going to tile up to the bottom of the extractor hood.

In order to avoid cutting too many tiles, would you advise tiling the section from the worktop to the hood first?

Where should I be starting the tiling?

George

Have a look at this pic George. This is my kitchen that I put in a few months back. If it's anything like this you need to centre the tiles on the hood and work out from there. Where possible, you need to try and ensure that there are no thin tiles that catch they eye. Unfortunately, it was not possible for me, I got the tiles to fit right around the hood and at the left corner, but at the right, there is a thin strip (behind the blue pot near the microwave). It bugs me but there wasn't much I could do about it. You need to try different starting points and see where the tiles will end up. In all cases, if there's going to be a problem, go with what you think will be least obvious. Don't worry too much if you end up with a thin tile - sometimes it's unavoidable.

05112007111.jpg

Thanks gcol.

I would assume that my kitchen installer has installed the hood level. Would you start at the top and work down from the hood or would you start from the centre of the wall?

I'd draw a vertical centre line from the centre of the hood. Then from this line, dry lay the tiles out on the worktop to see what you're left with when you reach a wall or corner. If you're left with a thin slither, try moving the tile at the centre line so that it is sat over the line i.e. half a tile on each side of the line. Then dry lay the tiles again and see what you're left with.
Tile up from the worktop.

Thanks all again.

I do have 1 last question if don't mind, which I forgot to ask earlier.

The tiles are 9mm thick. How much gap do I leave in the corner?

Once the tiles are in position, what shall I fill the gap at the corner with?

Again at the top by the wall units, what gap shall I leave and again what do I fill with?

Many thanks guys, you should charge by the hour :)

The tiles are 9mm thick. How much gap do I leave in the corner?
Leave the tiles on one wall around 4 or 5mm away from the corner. Then when you tile the other wall, just leave the same gap as the grout gap you have used elsewhere.

Once the tiles are in position, what shall I fill the gap at the corner with?
Grout.

Again at the top by the wall units, what gap shall I leave and again what do I fill with?
This isn't so critical because you don't see this gap from the angle you stand at. Aim to try and leave no more than 5mm though. Fill with grout.
When fitting kitchen units, it's a good idea to fit the wall units to the correct height so that when tiling you don't need to cut tiles. Obviously, you need to know what size of tile you are going for before fitting the wall units.

Many thanks guys, you should charge by the hour
And don't forget, it's double time on a Sunday! ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back