Kitchen tiling

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I'm after some advice as I'm considering tiling around my chimney breast but not sure where to start. I will try and upload some photos. As I will be tiling in and out of alcoves I wondered how I will ensure my top line of tiles will be level? And I will be using brick tiles, do I need to put a trim on all the external corners? Thank you in advance for any help.

Sponsored Links
I want to tile along the whole of this side of the room. Not sure how to upload my images!

Hi, I'm after some advice as I'm considering tiling around my chimney breast but not sure where to start. I will try and upload some photos. As I will be tiling in and out of alcoves I wondered how I will ensure my top line of tiles will be level? And I will be using brick tiles, do I need to put a trim on all the external corners? Thank you in advance for any help.

need to see a pic of what and where you intend to tile, as for keeping the tiles level at the top, if you batten the walls to be tiled at the same height the top will be level. The answer to your question about trim is NO you dont have to BUT the finished product WILL look BETTER.

just waiting for your pics before i can really give you some advice as to where and how to start

GALLERY]

Sponsored Links
Sorry to add another dimension to this thread but have you got any lighting in the alcove and how high is the opening?

Reason for asking? It will be really dark when you (or 'er indoors) is standing in front of the hob cooking, and when you or she bend forward to check what's cooking ... 'ouch ... oh ma heed'!

The tiles will presumably run straight up from the worktop so will (or should) be naturally level as a result.

Looking to put an extractor in at a later date, all wired up ready for one, should solve the light problem. No problem with the height, although I'm only 5'8" so maybe someone taller might do?! I fitted the base units myself so i don't trust them to be absolutely spot on, I don't want get to the top row of tiles and they don't line up!

Looking to put an extractor in at a later date, all wired up ready for one, should solve the light problem. No problem with the height, although I'm only 5'8" so maybe someone taller might do?! I fitted the base units myself so i don't trust them to be absolutely spot on, I don't want get to the top row of tiles and they don't line up!

double check that your bench is level, if it is then your tiles will all be the same height, the only difference could be that your ceiling may not be level. Fix a continous row of tiles from end to end, they gotta line up then

I've been told to start in the middle so would I just tile out left and right from the centre?

No. You might end up with tiny slivers at the corners. Do a dry run.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back