kitchen units to wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
As seems to be the case too often, my walls are not at right angles to each other.

I have put in a carcase for a base unit in a kitchen, and am about to screw it to the back wall. However, this will leave a gap between the left side of the carcase (left as you-look-at-it-from-the-front) and the wall which this left side "sits" against.

Is there a common practice for filling in this gap?

TIA.

Dave.

Sponsored Links
Are you working into a corner or a flat wall ? Go for a reasonable standard "overhang" with your worktop and set your floor units accordingly, then fix units together and attach to walls. A light fill skim of of finish plaster ( after scoring walls) should alleviate slight variations.
Believe me, nobody has square walls !!

hello.
the unit is in a corner. The gap is shown on the following detailed architectural drawing ;)

plan.jpg

Go for a reasonable standard "overhang" with your worktop and set your floor units accordingly, then fix units together and attach to walls

I was planning on having the carcases flush against the back wall, so a gap is not left at the end.... is my idea reasonable?

A light fill skim of of finish plaster ( after scoring walls) should alleviate slight variations.

could you explain a bit more? i dont quite understand.

TIA,
David.[/quote]

How wide is the gap ?

What colour is the unit ?

Door or no door on unit ?

Wall or base unit ?

Sponsored Links
hi,
works for me but... go to mfi.co.uk and search for "verona".

Dave.

Normal practice is to scribe a piece of end panel to suit the gap and fix it either with liquid nails and some tape to hold it while it sets if it's a small piece or pilot drill through the side of the unit and use panel pins if it a larger width.

Okay, the link working now.

See this.
I have done this many time, you can iron on the tape onto the side edge of the unit and against the wall, when dried trim off with a sharp knife internal. You can get many difference colour or colour stain it to match your unit, then refit the door.

dave_p_r_b said:
hello.
the unit is in a corner. The gap is shown on the following detailed architectural drawing ;)

plan.jpg

Go for a reasonable standard "overhang" with your worktop and set your floor units accordingly, then fix units together and attach to walls

I was planning on having the carcases flush against the back wall, so a gap is not left at the end.... is my idea reasonable?

A light fill skim of of finish plaster ( after scoring walls) should alleviate slight variations.

could you explain a bit more? i dont quite understand.

TIA,
David.
Sorry not been about for a while, busy fitting kitchen !!!
What I meant was I "built up" the corner with a strong plaster to the edge of the cupboard (tall larder unit in my case) and over the top of said unit to make the wall look "square" then put the unit in place to hide the crappy bits !! Looks ok and only I know whats hidden behind there !

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back