kitchen ventilation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello, first time posting but long time viewer of DIYnot.

I have a freezing cold draughty kitchen, the culprits are ventilation ports in the single skinned walls of my 1900 home.

I would like to close some up but am aware they've been put there for a reason.

i would like to know if i can close them up as i now have an electric extractor fan over the gas hob.

we also have a new combi boiler in the kitchen, 3 windows to the outside world within 3 meters of gas hob and combi.

the cold draughty vents are behind the sink.

what do i need to have in my kitchen and what can i close off?

thank you for reading and many thanks for replying!

steveo

Sponsored Links
Do you ever suffer the effects of condensation/black mould, etc?

Tape them up temporarily and see if you have any ill effects during very cold periods.

is that what there there for? i've got about 5 randomnly popped into wall.

why didnt i think of that, i've spent so much time trying to find a black and white answer i didnt think to just tape them up and see what happens!

if they are only there as a nicety for damp then what the hell.

havent noticed any mould or damp so i think i'll do that.

now, "who knows the best kind of gaffa tape to..." (jokes)

cheers,

victorian homes have lots of vents as these where built before central heating was anygood.

iv keapt ones under my floor space but blocked up all above floor board height without any problems

Sponsored Links
They were probably originally ventilation for solid fuel stove - or possibly, more recently, an oil/gas burner of some description. It's fine to block them as long as your gas boiler is not of a type that relies on ventilation. If it is, blocking them could be VERY dangerous. So be sure.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back