Kitchen Ventilation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
So the surveyor wants a through-wall fan now…he could have made this point before the kitchen was almost completed…and why the regs require it when the re-sited kitchen (I moved it from mid-point in the property to the back) has two huge sash windows, a door, and a extractor/filter over the cooker, is beyond me…but hey ho, he insists…

I’ve bought an over spec fan from Screwfix but I’m wondering if the power has to be connected via the lighting…that is, should the fan come on automatically or can it simply be switched to be used as required? (Which would be never!)…

This is the last thing before I get the BR cert, so replies gratefully received!

Sponsored Links
Normally switch fan on as and when,if you connect it to the lighting then the lights will be on during the day! I would get a second opinion as I never heard of this before.Ask the surveyor what the reason for it as there're other ways venting out like windows vent etc......

we have an ectractor fan in the kitchen very usefull too, but ours came with a pull cord, so we can turn it on / off as and when required, if yours doesnt you could always fit a plug and plug it in, then when it is all ok...............

edited by breezer as it appeared i swore, (i didn't)

Cheers Lads...that'll do for me...I'll stick it in and have it run from a switch...

which will no doubt never be used...

Building regs can be a right pain in the tweed...

Sponsored Links
Just a thought,if your extractor/filter cooker is on the outside wall,some of them can extend outside to vent then you can use that instead of a fan.

Unfortunately it isn’t and I refuse to have ducting from it to the external wall – it’d look awful.

So it has to be the fan-in-the-wall. I’m just glad it isn’t required to be automatic. I’ll switch it in the wall and have done with it.

Just another couple of weeks and we can sell this place and start all over again! Two complete refurbs in two years! My back’s killing me!!

Cheers

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back